Sunday, January 31, 2010

What's in your wallet?

You probably recognize that line from CapitalOne credit cards. The question here is what are you using to make credit card charges and why. When I open up my George Constanza-esque thick wallet, I find a lot of cards - including the following:

1. A Starwood Amex card - which I try to charge as much as I can on under normal circumstances since I can either use the SPG points or convert them to AA for the trips to South America a la Alan Stanwyck (sans the private stunt flying jet).

2. Platinum Amex - Card gets me into the AA, CO and DL lounges, and when I want to top up some Amex Member Rewards points, this is the card I use. I also use it for car rentals to avoid the extra insurance

3. American Airlines Master Charge - used to be a great card when they allowed you to book reward travel for fewer miles, but that benefit has been reduced significantly. However, if you shop Sam's Club like I do, this is a great card for Sam's Club spend. Additionally, this is the card I have registered for the iDine AA program.

4. British Airways Visa - my current card of choice, since they have a 100,000 mile signup/spend bonus and you get a 2 for 1 cert for use on rewards travel after $30K of spend in a calendar year.

Sure, it's a hassle keeping track of these, but it's worth it in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment